For BFA Flight Instructor:
1. Must be a current BFA Member
2. Must hold an FAA Commercial Pilot Certificate, Lighter-than-air, Free Balloon
3. Must have a minimum of 75 hours/50 flights
4. Must meet ONE of the following requirements:
a. Passing grade on the Fundamentals of Instruction Knowledge Exam
b. May possess a valid teaching certificate issued by a State Department of Education.
c. May be an FAA Certificated Flight Instructor (category/class immaterial)
d. May be an FAA Designated Pilot Examiner for LTA, Free Balloon
For BFA Master Flight Instructor:
1. Must be a current BFA member.
2. Must have completed 24 months as a BFA Flight Instructor.
3. Must have a minimum of 150 hours/100 flights
4. Must have attended a BFA sanctioned safety seminar within the previous 24 months prior to application.
5. Must have successfully trained a minimum of five (5) pilots to certification, either at the Private or Commercial level, within the previous 36 months.
For either BFA Flight Instructor or BFA Master Flight Instructor renewal, any two of the following must be completed
1. Have attended a BFA sanctioned safety seminar within the previous 24 months.
2. Have attended a BFA Flight Instructor Refresher Clinic, or a Certificated Flight Instructor (CFI) Recurrency Seminar which meets FAA requirements for recertification of a CFI (category/class immaterial), or in the case of an FAA Designated Pilot Examiner, have completed the required biennial training.
3. Have successfully trained a minimum of three (3) pilots to certification, either at the Private or Commercial level, within the previous 36 months.
A request for designation as a BFA Flight Instructor or BFA Master Flight Instructor may be made on the attached application, and forwarded with the appropriate fee ($10 for Flight Instructor, $20 for Master Flight Instructor) to:
Balloon Federation of American
P.O. Box 400
Indianola, Iowa, 50125
PREPARED BY: Dave Sullivan, Committee Chair, Flight Instructor Refresher Clinics
LAST UPDATED: January 3, 2012